アプリ版:「スタンプのみでお礼する」機能のリリースについて

いつもお世話になっています。
以下の和訳が自分の中で微妙なところ(つかめない)があるので、訂正・間違えなど含めて、訳の解答・アドバイスお願いいたします。

(1)
Attu was, without doubt, the worst place I have ever been.
・attus島は私が今まで行った中で最悪の場所でした。

(2)
I even had visions of myself bringing word to the commanding general of some crucial discovery.
・私は部隊長に知らせることを思い浮かべることさえありました。

(3)
There were many prisoners on Okinawa, especially during the last weeks of the fighting, when the helplessness of the situation had become apparent to even the most patriotic soldier.
・どうすることもできない状況が、もっとも愛国的な兵隊にさえも明らかになった、とりわけ最後の戦争数週間の間にも沖縄では多くの捕虜がいた。

(4)
I tried to persuade them that it was now their duty to live for a new Japan, and I think I convinced some of them.
・私は彼らに新しい日本のために生きることが今では義務なんだと何人かに説得しようと思いました。

(5)
It is amazing in retrospect to think that just two years after I graduated from the Language School, I was engaged in conversations of life and death, trying to persuade men, some of them considerably older than myself, that they must live for Japan.
・私は海軍日本語学校からちょうど2年で卒業して、彼らは日本のために生きるべきだ、自分自身よりもはるかに年上の何人かに説得しようとしているのを振り返って考えると驚くばかりであります。

多くなりましたが、宜しくお願いします。

A 回答 (1件)

アッツ島が出てくることから太平洋戦争の話、著者は(米)海軍日本語学校を出て従軍したらしい、と考えましたがどうでしょうか。

ドナルド・キーンあたりが書いたものかな。

(1) Attu was, without doubt, the worst place I have ever been.
アッツ島は、私がそれまで訪れた中で、まさに最悪の場所だった。

(2) I even had visions of myself bringing word to the commanding general of some crucial discovery.
have visions of something : somethingが起こるだろうと思う。
私は、ある重要な発見について、自ら司令官に知らせようとさえ考えた。
(通常、下っ端が司令官と直に話すことはないので、even がついている。)

(3)There were many prisoners on Okinawa, especially during the last weeks of the fighting, when the helplessness of the situation had become apparent to even the most patriotic soldier.
愛国心あふれる日本兵でさえ負け戦であることがはっきりとわかってきた頃、とりわけ沖縄戦(the fighting)の最後の数週間に、沖縄では多くの日本人が捕虜になっていた。

(4) I tried to persuade them that it was now their duty to live for a new Japan, and I think I convinced some of them.
私は、新しい日本のために生きることこそが今の責務であると彼らを説得し、そのうちの何人かは納得してくれたと思う。

(5) It is amazing in retrospect to think that just two years after I graduated from the Language School, I was engaged in conversations of life and death, trying to persuade men, some of them considerably older than myself, that they must live for Japan.
振り返って考えると、海軍日本語学校を卒業してたった2年しか経っていない私が生き死にを論じたこと、私よりはるかに年長のものを含む男たちに日本のために生きるよう説得したこと、は驚くべきことです。
    • good
この回答へのお礼

素晴らしい。御名答です。

有難うございました。

お礼日時:2007/07/18 18:48

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!