プロが教えるわが家の防犯対策術!

After years of not being able to get pregnant, my husband and I adopted our son just shy of his second birthday. I vaguely knew the circumstances of his birth parents, a couple who died in a fire, and no relatives came forward to take guardianship. I knew about the fear that comes with adoption that your child whom you love and think of as “yours” will think of his birth parents as his “real” mom and dad, but our son really didn’t have much interest in discovering his roots growing up and even now I don’t think he is. He just graduated law school in the spring and dropped the bombshell that he wants to change his last name back to his birth father’s name. My husband’s last name is rather uncommon and easy to misspell and mispronounce, while I admit his birth father’s name is more common and nicer on the ear. He isn’t the first member of my husband’s family to change his name. As he put it to me, he didn’t change his name, but my husband and I did when we adopted him. I mentioned our future grandchildren not carrying his father’s name, and he pointed out (quite right) that if he was a girl, we wouldn’t have thought twice about our grandchildren not having his father’s name. I don’t know how to feel. As he pointed out, I kept my maiden name after my wedding. I guess I feel a bit hurt by his decision even though I know this seems more about professional choice rather than some reclaiming of his roots.

just shy of his second birthdayは「もう少しで2回目の誕生日ところで」でしょうか?あと、reclaiming of his rootsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

A 回答 (2件)

just shy of his second birthdayは「もう少しで2回目の誕生日ところで」でしょうか? ーその通りです。

I know this seems more about professional choice rather than some reclaiming of his roots.
(姓を変えることは)彼のルーツを何らかの形で取り戻すというよりは、むしろ職業上の選択にように見えることは理解しているのですが、

そうですね、法科大学院を卒業して弁護士への道を進む息子さんとして多分心情的なことよりも職業的に判断しているのでしょう。それにしても、corta
24さんは、いつも面白い記事を見つけてきますね(笑)
    • good
この回答へのお礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。相談コラムしか読んでいません(笑)

お礼日時:2019/04/28 01:44

>just shy of his second birthdayは「もう少しで2回目の誕生日ところで」でしょうか?

その通りです。

>reclaiming of his rootsはどのような意味でしょうか?

「ルーツを取り戻す」です。前述のrootsとも呼応しているわけですが、ルーツ回帰というか、自分の生まれに目覚めたとか忠実でありたいとか、要するに筆者にとっては「本当の親を求めている」という感覚ですよね。

ちなみに、「ルーツ」が日本で外来語として浸透したのは1977年のクンタキンテを主人公としたドラマシリーズがきっかけでしたね。
    • good
この回答へのお礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

お礼日時:2019/04/28 01:44

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!