プロが教えるわが家の防犯対策術!

David Greybeard first showed me how fuzzy the distinction between animals and humans can be. Forty years ago I befriended David, a chimpanzee, during my first field trip to Gombe in Tanzania. One day I offered him a nut in my open palm. He looked directly into my eyes, took the nut out of my hand and dropped it. At the same moment he very gently squeezed my hand as if to say, I don't want it, but I understand your motives.
Since chimpanzees are thought to be physiologically close to humans, researchers use them as test subjects for new drugs and vaccines. In the labs, these very sociable creatures often live isolated from one another in 5-by-5-foot cages, where they grow surly and sometimes violent. Dogs, cats and rats are also kept in poor conditions and subjected to painful procedures. Many people would find it hard to sympathize with rats, but dogs and cats are part of our lives. Ten or 15 years ago, when the use of animals in medical testing was first brought to my attention, I decided to visit the labs myself. Many people working there had forced themselves to believe that animal testing is the only way forward for medical research.
Once we accept that animals are sentient beings, is it ethical to use them in research? From the point of view of the animals, it is quite simply wrong. From our standpoint, it seems ridiculous to equate a rat with a human being. If we clearly and honestly believe that using animals in research will, in the end, reduce massive human suffering, it would be difficult to argue that doing so is unethical. How do we find a way out of this dilemma?
One thing we can do is change our mind-set. We can begin by questioning the assumption that animals are essential to medical research. Scientists have concluded that chimpanzees are not useful for AIDS research because, even though their genetic makeup differs from ours by about 1 percent, their immune systems deal much differently with the AIDS virus. Many scientists test drugs and vaccines on animals simply because they are required to by law rather than out of scientific merit. This is a shame, because our medical technology is beginning to provide alternatives. We can perform many tests on cell and tissue cultures without recourse to systemic testing on animals. Computer simulations can also cut down on the number of animal tests we need to run. We aren't exploring these alternatives vigorously enough.
Ten or 15 years ago animal-rights activists resorted to violence against humans in their efforts to break through the public's terrible apathy and lack of imagination on this issue. This extremism is counterproductive. I believe that more and more people are becoming aware that to use animals thoughtlessly, without any anguish or making an effort to find another way, diminishes us as human beings.
【設問】
・3段落3文目,doing soの内容を表す語を文中から
自分は、‘using animals in research’としました。「研究の中で動物を利用すること」が、非道徳的であると主張することは難しいだろう…このように考えました。
・一番最後の文,diminishes us as human beingsの意味を日本語で簡潔に説明←良く分からなかったです。「人間としての我々の権威(信用)を落とす」…最後の段落をまとめるのでしょうか?

お願いします。
参考までに、この文章の出典を見つけたので貼っておきます。
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2001/05/06 …

A 回答 (1件)

<訳例>

デイビッド・グレイビアドが、動物と人間の区別がいかにあいまいになりえるかについて、私に初めて示してくれました。 40年前、タンザニアのゴンベへの私の最初の現地調査旅行の間に、私は、チンパンジーのデイビッドと友達になりました。 ある日、私は、ひろげた手のひらにナッツをのせて彼にすすめました。 彼は、真直ぐに私の目を覗き込んで、私の手からナッツを取り、それを落としました。 同時に、彼は、とても優しく私の手を握って、まるで、私はそれが欲しくありません、でも、私はあなたの動機を理解します、と言うかのようでした。
チンパンジーが、生理的に人間に近いと考えられているので、研究者は、新薬やワクチンの試験被験者として彼らを利用します。 研究室で、これらの非常に社交的な生きものは、5×5フィートの檻に入れられ、しばしば、お互いに隔離されて、生きています、その檻の中では、彼らは、不機嫌で時々狂暴になります。 犬、猫、ネズミもまた、ひどい状況で飼われて、痛みを伴う処置を受けています。多くの人々は、ネズミに同情するのは難しいと思うかもしれません、しかし、犬や猫は、我々の生活の一部になっています。 10~15年前、医学実験における動物の使用が、最初に、私の注意を引くようになったとき、私は、私自身で研究室を訪問することに決めました。 そこで働いている多くの人々は、動物実験が、医学研究にとって前進するための唯一の方法であると、無理にも自分自身に信じ込ませていました。
一旦、我々が、動物が感情のある存在であることを認めるならば、研究で彼らを利用することは、倫理的でしょうか? 動物の観点からすれば、それは全く明らかに間違っています。 我々の立場からすると、ネズミを人間と同等視することは、馬鹿げていると思われます。研究で動物を使うことが、結局は、大きな人間の苦しみを減らすと、我々が、明らかに、また、正直に信じているならば、そうすることが、非倫理的であると主張することは、難しいでしょう。 どのようにして、我々は、このジレンマの出口を見つけますか?
我々がすることができる1つのことは、我々の思考法を変えることです。 我々は、動物が医学研究にとって必須であるという仮定を疑うことから始めることができます。 科学者は、たとえチンパンジーの遺伝子の組成が、約1パーセント我々のものと異なるとしても、彼らの免疫系が、非常に違ってエイズ・ウイルスに対処するので、チンパンジーが、エイズ研究に役立たないと、結論を出しています。
多くの科学者は、単に彼らが、科学的なメリットからよりもむしろ法律によって求められているので、動物で薬やワクチンをテストします。 これは、残念なことです、と言うのは、我々の医療技術が、代替の選択肢を提供し始めているからです。 我々は、動物に全体的なテストに頼ることなしに、細胞と組織培養で、多くのテストを行うことができます。コンピュータ・シミュレーションは、我々が行う必要がある動物実験の数を減らすこともできます。 我々は、十分精力的にこれらの選択肢を詳しく調査していません。
10~15年前、この問題に関する一般市民の恐ろしいほどの無関心と想像力の欠如を打開しようとして、動物の権利保護を求める活動家は、人間に対して暴力に訴えました。 この過激主義は、逆効果です。 どんな苦悩もせず、あるいは、もう一つの方法を見つける努力をすることなく、軽率に動物を使うことは、人間として我々をおとしめることに、ますます多くの人々が気づいていると、私は信じています。

【設問】
・3段落3文目,doing soの内容を表す語を文中から
自分は、‘using animals in research’としました。「研究の中で動物を利用すること」が、非道徳的であると主張することは難しいだろう…このように考えました。
⇒正しいと思います。

・一番最後の文,diminishes us as human beingsの意味を日本語で簡潔に説明←良く分からなかったです。「人間としての我々の権威(信用)を落とす」…最後の段落をまとめるのでしょうか?
⇒どんな苦悩もせず、あるいは、もう一つの方法を見つける努力をすることなく、軽率に動物を使うことは、人間として我々をおとしめると言うこと。
でよいのでは?

☆出典まで調べていただき恐縮です。
    • good
この回答へのお礼

訳例及び、設問の添削、ありがとうございました。
助かりました。

お礼日時:2012/10/06 23:47

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!