A 回答 (4件)

英語版のWikipediaの坂口安吾の項目

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakaguchi_Ango
を読むとDarakuron" ("On Decadence")とあります。
残念ながら当随筆の英訳本は手元にありませんので拙訳となります。

堕ちる fall
堕ちぬく fall to the bottom
と表現しましたが、fall to the bottom は stop falling または finish falling と言えるかもしれません。

Not that we fall because we were defeated in the war. We do fall because we are living human beings. We do nothing but fall as long as we live. However, it will be permanently impossible for us to fall to the bottom. This is because our mind cannot be so strong enough to endure hardships as steel. We, humans beings, are delicate and fragile. That is why despite our stupidity we are too weak to fall to the bottom.
    • good
この回答へのお礼

回答ありがとうございました。
英語版wikipediaまで調べていただいて、感謝感謝です。
参考にさせていただきますね^^

お礼日時:2010/11/05 02:28

一般論だと考えて「戦争に負けた(から~ではないのだ。

)」は現在形にしてみました。

「堕ちる」は「degrade oneself」か「fall」で、「堕ちぬく」は「fall to the end」で、「永遠に」は「all one's life」などを用いると良いでしょう。

「~ことはできないだろう。」は可能と推量(当然)の意味を込めて「should not be able to ...」ではいかがでしょう。

We do not degrade ourselves just because we lose a war. We fall because we are human, and we fall because we are alive. We, human beings, however, should not be able to fall all our lives, because our hearts are not made of steel and we cannot bear hardships around us. Human beings are helpless and frail, therefore stupid. We are too weak to fall to the end.

ご参考になれば・・・。
    • good
この回答へのお礼

回答ありがとうございました。
参考にさせていただきますね^^

お礼日時:2010/11/05 02:28

We do not fall into decadence because we have lost a war, but bec

ause we are human. We fall simply because we are living. Humans, however, will never keep falling eternally because our minds cannot be as tough as steel to withstand hardships. We humans are pitiful and frail, and thus appear foolish, but we are too weak to fall through and through.
    • good
この回答へのお礼

回答ありがとうございました。
参考にさせていただきますね^^

お礼日時:2010/11/05 02:29

I corrupt not because I lost war, but because I am a human being.

I only corrupt because I am alive. A human being, however, will not keep on corrupting eternally because his heart cannot be like steel to endure hardship. A human being is pretty and weak, which, therefore, makes him stupid. I am too weak to keep on corrupting.
    • good
この回答へのお礼

回答ありがとうございました。
参考にさせていただきますね^^

お礼日時:2010/11/05 02:29

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!