プロが教える店舗&オフィスのセキュリティ対策術

この英文が何を言いたいのかわかりません。
簡単に日本語で要約していただけないでしょうか?

One of the more popular ways for progressive candidates to excite a crowd or for pro-housing advocates to frame their arguments is to assert “Housing is a human right.” We should stop saying this, and call out candidates when they say it. It’s a lie. Housing isn’t a human right—at least not in practice.

I know this because we prioritize single family zoning over construction of enough housing for everyone, and single family zoning certainly isn’t a human right.  A human right can’t be less important than a not-right, or the entire concept of human rights has no meaning; trust me on that, I’m a lawyer, and have the student loans to prove it.  Anyone want to step up and argue that single family zoning is a right? The ghost of Eleanor Roosevelt would like a word with you.

If housing were a human right we’d prioritize more housing over single family zoning.

If housing were a human right we’d want more housing even if for-profit developers made a profit (if for some reason you thought that were a bad thing).

If housing were a human right we’d allow more housing away from our most hazardous and polluted streets and into our neighborhood interiors.

If housing were a human right we wouldn’t require parking minimums.

If housing were a human right we’d build our values by building more housing.

Claiming that housing is a human right and then shying away from standing up to neighborhood organizations (or single family homeowners or would-be revolutionaries) who oppose upzoning is like claiming freedom of speech is a human right and then demurring when asked about banning The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian because the PTA doesn’t like it. The PTA doesn’t get to decide who deserves rights any more than neighborhood organizations do.

I wish we treated housing were a human right, and that homelessness and unaffordability meant we were willing to build our cities in a way that made affordable housing available to everyone. I expect this is what many people who say, “Housing is a human right” mean: we should have affordable housing for everyone. It’s what I meant when I said it. But too many people use “Housing is a human right” as a shield against having to engage with specific housing policies. If a slogan provides cover for avoiding hard discussions about how to move forward it’s better we stop using the slogan and demand candidates confront the real trade-offs inherent in policy; force them to reconcile their stated beliefs with their proposed policies.

As an example: I understand that not everyone, even those who say that housing is a human right, will agree that upzoning is a key element of any housing affordability strategy. But if we agree that housing is a human right, we can have a real discussion about how to best reify that right and use data and statistics.

But recognizing that housing is a human right makes certain arguments off limits. You can’t argue about shade or that developers will make money or about neighborhood character or that it isn’t housing for the right people (“who are we building housing for?”) or that you want to do other things for affordability instead or that the increase in affordability won’t be enough or it’s only a long-run solution or that it’s not a panacea.

You have to argue that adding more market rate housing will not make housing more affordable when compared to the counterfactual under which no upzoning occurs. You have to make the argument that vacancy rates don’t affect housing prices and artificially limiting supply doesn’t affect prices.

If you can’t make that argument you only have to ask yourself one question: is housing a human right?

A 回答 (4件)

> 「アパートやマンション」「無料低額宿泊所や集合住宅」でもなんでもいいから、住む場所を与えよう

原文には"upzoning"という用語が使われていますが、これは「戸建て住宅専用地域」に関わる規制を緩和して、より多くの人が居住できるようにすることを意味しますが、その中にはアパートなどの集合住宅の建設許可も含まれるもようです。

[引用開始]
Upzoning means allowing for more types of housing that can suit more people — particularly those who struggle to buy or rent homes.
[引用終了]
https://www.discoursemagazine.com/culture-and-so …

ご質問の英文では、"upzoning"が問題解決の鍵となることを主張しているものと思われます。

執筆者は弁護士(lawyer)だそうで、よくもまあこんな分かりにくい文章を書くものだと感心いたします。(;^_^A
    • good

No. 2の訂正

> “Housing is a human right” mean: we should have affordable housing for everyone.

“Housing is a human right.”とは、誰でもが手頃な価格で住宅を購入できるかどうかは、最低限の人権に関わる問題なのだ。つまり、政府はそのような住宅政策を実施する義務があるとする考え。

上記のように訂正しますと、“Housing is a human right.”という考え方に基づいて、従来から存在する「戸建て住宅専用地域」にさらに数多くの住宅を建設しますと、「戸建て住宅専用地域」に内在する問題がさらに複雑かつ深刻化しますので、“Housing is a human right.”という考え方ではなく、もっと柔軟なアプローチで住宅問題に取り組まなければならないという考えが強まっている、という全体的な流れになるものと思われます。
    • good
この回答へのお礼

なるほど、わかりやすい解答をありがとうございます。
つまりこの話題においては、「戸建て住宅」をそれぞれの人が持つべきか否かを問題にしており、「アパートやマンション」「無料低額宿泊所や集合住宅」でもなんでもいいから、住む場所を与えようといったテーマではないということで間違いないでしょうか?

お礼日時:2020/11/13 09:42

“Housing is a human right.”とは、「人はすべて、戸建て住宅に住む権利を人権として認められるべきである」というような意味であり、アメリカの多くの自治体では「戸建て住宅専用地域」を設定して、その地域内では戸建て住宅以外の建造物を一切禁止するという極端な政策を長らく採用していたが、スーパーやコンビニ、ビジネス用のビルなどの建設も禁止されるなど様々な弊害が出て来たため、規制を緩和して、もっと効率的かつ住みやすい場所に変える必要があるという声が高まってきた。

この問題は日本の高級住宅街でも同じで、住民が高齢化すると近所にスーパーもコンビニも病院もないのは不便極まりなく、治安の面でも不安が生じるようになった。

以上のようなことを念頭に置いてご質問のような英文を読まれることをお勧めします。
    • good

?????えっとー…なんていえば言えばいいんでしょうか?長すぎて解読出来ないです

• good
この回答へのお礼

わかりづらくもうしわけありません。
家をもつことは人権には当てはまらない
という旨の英文です。
ただ、single family zoning とか、文化が違うからかわかりませんが何を伝えたいのかよくわからなくて…

お礼日時:2020/11/12 23:38

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!