プロが教える店舗&オフィスのセキュリティ対策術

よくわからないので、よろしくお願いします。翻訳機ではないものでお願いします。
For twenty years Tom raced and gambled, philandered with the prettiest girls, danced, ate in the most expensive restaurants, and dressed beautifully. He always looked as if he had just stepped out of a bandbox. Though he was forty-six you would never have taken him for more than thirty-five. He was the most amusing companion and though you knew he was perfectly worthless you could not but enjoy his society. He had high spirits, and unfailing gaiety, and incredible charm. I never grudged the contributions he regularly levied on me for the necessities of his existence. I never lent him fifty pounds without feeling that I was in his debt. Tom Ramsay knew everyone and everyone knew Tom Ramsay. You could not approve of him, but you could not help liking him.
Poor George, only a year older that his scapegrace brother, looked sixty. He had never taken more than a fortnight's holiday in the year for a quarter of a century. He was in his office every morning at nine-thirty and never left it till six. He was honest, industrious, and worthy. He had a good wife, to whom he had never been unfaithful even in thought, and four daughters to whom he was five to a little house in the country where he proposed to cultivate his garden and play golf. His life was blameless. He was glad that he was growing old because Tom was growing old too. He rubbed his hands and said.
'It was all very well when Tom was young and good-looking, but he's only a year younger than I am. In four years he'll be fifty. He won't find life so easy then. I shall have thirty thousand pounds by the time I'm fifty. For twenty-five years I've said that Tom would end in the gutter. And we shall see how he likes that. We shall see if it really pays best to work or be idle.'
Poor George! I sympathized with him. I wondered now as I sat down beside him what infamous thing Tom had done. George was evidently very much upset. 'Do you know what's happened now?' he asked me.
I was prepared for the worst. I wondered if Tom had got into the hands of the police at last. George could hardly bring himself to speak.
'You're not going to deny that all my life I've been hardworking, decent, respectable, and straightforward. After a life of industry and thrift I can look forward to retiring on a small income in gilt-edged securities. I've always done my duty in that state of life in which it has pleased Providence to place me.' 'True.'
And you can't deny that Tom has been an idle, worthless, dissolute, and dishonourable rogue. If there were any justice he'd be in the workhouse. 'True.' George grew red in the face.
'A few weeks ago he became engaged to a woman old enough to be his mother.And now she's died and left him everything she had. Half a million pounds, a yacht, a house in London, and a house in the country.'
George Ramsay beat his clenched fist on the table. 'It's not fair, I tell you, it's not fair. Damn it, it's not fair.'
I could not help it. I burst into a shout of laughter as I looked at George's wrathful face, I rolled in my chair, I very nearly fell on the floor. George never forgave me. But Tom often asks me to excellent dinners in his charming house in Mayfair, and if he occasionally borrows a trifle from me, it is merely from force of habit. It is never more than a sovereign.

A 回答 (2件)

20年間、トムはレースをし、賭博をし、最もかわいい女の子と戯れ、踊り、最高級のレストランで食べ、美しく服を着飾りました。

彼はいつもパリッとめかしこんでいました。
彼は46歳だったけれども、あなたは彼を35歳以上と決して考えなかったでしょう。
彼は連れていて最も面白い男でした、そして、彼が完全に役に立たないということを知っていても、あなたは彼との付き合いを楽しまざるを得ませんでした。
彼は、上機嫌と変わることのない快活さ、そして、驚くべき魅力を持っていました。
彼が生活の必需品のために私に定期的にたかったお金を、私は決して惜しいとは思いませんでした。
私が彼に50ポンド貸す時はいつも、私は彼の債権者になるのだと感じました。
トム・ラムゼーは、皆を知っていました、そして、誰もがトム・ラムゼーを知っていました。
彼をよいと思うことはできませんでした、しかし、彼を好きならずにはいられなかったのです。
可哀相なジョージは、彼のろくでなしの弟よりわずか1歳年上だっただけでしたが、60歳に見えました。
彼は、四半世紀の間、年に二週間以上の休暇をこれまでとりませんでした。
彼は毎朝9時30分にはオフィスにいて、6時までそこを決して去りませんでした。
彼は正直で、勤勉で、価値がありました。
彼には、良い妻がいました、彼女に対して、彼は、考えの中でさえこれまで不貞を働きませんでした、そして彼にはまた、4人の娘がいましたが、彼女たちに対しては、彼は、5人目となって、田舎の小さい別荘に共に出かけました、そしてそこで、彼は菜園を耕して、ゴルフをするつもりだったのです。
彼の人生は非難すべきところが一つもありませんでした。
彼は、自分が年をとることを喜びました、と言うのは、トムもまた年をとってゆくからでした。
彼は手をこすって、言いました。
「トムが若くてハンサムだったときは、まことに結構でした、しかし、彼は私よりわずか1歳若いだけです。
4年たてば、彼は50歳です。
その時には、彼も人生がそれほど安楽ではないとわかるでしょう。
50歳になる頃までには、私は3万ポンドを蓄えているでしょう。
25年の間、私は、トムがどん底の生活で終わると言って来ました。
そして、我々は、彼がそれをどう思うかわかるでしょう。
本当に正しく報われるのが、働くことか怠けることか私たちはわかるでしょう。」
可哀相なジョージ!
私は、彼に同情しました。
私はその時、彼のそばに座って、なんと悪いことをトムがしてきたのかと思いました。
ジョージは、明らかにとても動揺していました。
「今度は何があったかわかりますか?」、彼は私に尋ねました。
私は、最悪の事態を覚悟しました。
私は、トムがついに警察の手に捕まったのかしらと思いました。
ジョージは、ほとんど話す気になることができませんでした。
「生涯ずっと、私が勤勉で、まともで、立派で、率直だったことをあなたは否定しないでしょう。
勤勉と倹約の人生の後、私は英国国債のわずかな収入で引退後の生活をするのを楽しみにすることができます。
私がそのような生活をするのは、有難い神の導きなのだと考えて、私は常に義務を果たしてきました。」
「もっともです。」
「そして、トムが怠惰で、役に立たなくて、自堕落で、不名誉な悪者であったことを、あなたは否定できません。
正義があるなら、彼は救貧院にいるでしょう。」
「もっともです。」
ジョージは、顔が赤くなりました。
「2、3週間前、彼は、母だと言ってもよいほど年をとった女性と婚約しました。
そして、今度、彼女が死んで、彼に彼女の全財産を残しました。
50万ポンド、ヨット、ロンドンの家と田舎の別荘です。」
ジョージ・ラムゼーは、テーブルに彼の握りしめた拳を打ちつけました。
「間違ってる ― そうでしょう ― 間違ってますよ。 くそっ、間違ってる。」
私にはどうすることもできませんでした。
ジョージの憤った顔を見た時、私は突然笑いの叫びを発しました、私は椅子の中で身をよじりました、私はもう少しで床に転げ落ちるところでした。
ジョージは、私を決して許しませんでした。
しかし、トムはメイフェアの彼の魅力的な家での素晴らしい夕食会に私をしばしば招待してくれます、そして、彼が私から小額のお金を時折借りるとしても、それは単に惰性からに過ぎません。
それがソブリン金貨一枚(1ポンド)以上になることは決してありません。

☆ 英文を半分か3分の1に分割して出してもらえるとありがたいです。
    • good
この回答へのお礼

本当に毎回ありがとうございます!苦手な英語を、それも母国語ではない日本語にするというのはとても難しいので、本当に助かります。次に質問するときは短く分割して質問します。ありがとうございました。

お礼日時:2011/05/20 16:41

けっこう長いですね。

質問するのも自由、回答するのも個人の自由というものでしょう。しかし、このような『丸投げ』は少しずうずうし過ぎるのではないかと思います。他人の労力を安易に掴取しようとしているのですから。

ある程度は自分で努力したことを示し、その中で、何がどのように分からないかを聞くべきではないでしょうか。
    • good

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!