プロが教えるわが家の防犯対策術!

http://thesilvertongueonline.com/?p=20081

ドリームシアターというバンドから、ドラムのマイク・ポートノイが脱退した時、他のメンバーにインタビューをした時の記事です。

I mean, so you’ve got John Myung who wasn’t really socializing with us at all anymore, but as I said to Mike, ‘Tell me how it’s any different to when I first joined this band.’ I don’t see it.
Q1 この文章の意味を教えてください。
まず、you've got をどう訳せばよいのでしょうか? 
as I said to Mikeは、マイクにこう聞いた時 →そして聞いた内容が次につながる。
Tell me how~の意味を教えてください。

―――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
Petrucci: “You know, we’ve known each other for a long time, 25 years-plus, and I love Mike. One of the first things I said was that I was trying to understand where he was coming from and that I don’t judge him. Everyone is their own man and I get it. But from my perspective and from that of the other guys, you could take those same elements mentioned by Mike, the fact that we’ve been a band for 25 years, that this is something that we have built up and that we love, as a reason not to stop it or even take a break.”

Q2 1行目ラストのOne of the first thingsからうまく訳せません。
そのまま無理矢理訳すと、
「俺が言った最初の出来事の1つは、彼がどこから来たのか?を理解しようとした事であり、それに俺は彼を裁く事もしない。みんなは彼らの男さ。俺はそう理解している。けど、俺と、他のメンバーの見方は、」もうこの辺からピンときません・・・。一体どういうことになっているのか・・・。

―――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
Myung: “We love what we do and we didn’t want to wait around as things became unstable.
What was initially a four-month break suddenly turned into a hiatus, then changed to a year and four months, which then could have turned into anyone’s guess.”

Q3 最後のanyone's guessが何を言いたいのか理解出来ません。

よろしくお願いいたします。

A 回答 (2件)

Q1 I mean と前文を受けた形を取っていますので、対比すべき構文は下記のようになります。

I think a lot of problem was was with us personally =
So you’ve got John Myung who wasn’t really socializing with us at all anymore

I got you. : おまえの正体が分かったぞ。
http://eow.alc.co.jp/get/UTF-8/
『だから、我々に碌になじみもしないジョンのことを理解できたんじゃない。』

but to me the vibe with in Dream Thearter was fine =
Tell me how it’s any different to when I first joined this band.’ I don’t see it.

it = vibe 〔雰囲気などから起きる〕感情 気持ち 雰囲気
『どのように(貴方の)感情が、私がバンドに加わったときと、異なっちゃったの? 私は変わらないよ』。

Q2
最初に思ったことは『彼の源が何処にあるのかを理解しようとした。しかし、いまだ判断がつかねる。
誰にでも魂はあり私にもある。』
の様な意味と推測するがそういっているかどうかは分からぬ。

you could take those same elements mentioned by Mike, the fact that we’ve been a band for 25 years, that this is something that we have built up and that we love, as a reason not to stop it or even take a break.
は下記の様に2文に分けて考えると分かりやすいかも

those same elements mentioned by Mike that we’ve been a band for 25 years, that this is something that we have built up and that we love”
マイクがいみじくも言った言葉 = 25年バンドを組んだこと 我々で作り上げた何かであこと そして仲間を愛し続けたこと
You could take elements as a reason not to stop it or even take a break.
マイクがいみじくも言った言葉でバンドを休止させない理由の一つとして取りあげれたかも知れぬ・・・・がまあ無理だろうと言うニュアンス

Q3 業界、または、ファンの間で噂されている最悪のシナリオ、または、事柄だと思う。

この回答への補足

皆さんレスありがとうございます。返事が遅くなってすいません。

Q1 
‘Tell me how it’s any different to when I first joined this band.’ I don’t see it.
このitの部分を正確にとらえてなかったですね。ここはvibeと考えるとわかりやすいですね。
ただ、the vibeというのはDream theater内にあるthe vibeですよね。なので、厳密に言えば
the vibeの所有者はDream theaterだと解釈しました。なので
「どのように(貴方の)感情が、私がバンドに加わったときと、異なっちゃったの? 」
というよりは、
どのように(このDream theater)内の雰囲気が、私がバンドに加わったときと、異なっちゃったの? 
としたほうがしっくり来るんじゃないかなぁと・・・。

but to me the vibe with in Dream Thearter was fine も、
私にとって、Dream theaterの雰囲気は良いものだった。
良いもの「だった」ということは変化を表していますね。

だからマイアングは、この頃全くもって社交的でなくなった。
anymore=この頃

どのように(このDream theater)内の雰囲気が、私がバンドに加わったときと、異なっちゃったの? 

ってところでしょうか・・・。I don't see it.は文の流れから判断して「俺には見えない」=「俺には事情がわkらない」といったところでしょうか?

Q3
最悪のシナリオと解釈したらしっくりきました。
ここで問題だったのは「最悪のシナリオ」という考えにたどり着けなかったということです・・・。
anyone's guessは誰もが考える事。
誰もが考える事。=最悪のシナリオ
もっとカンを働かせないとダメですね・・・。

補足日時:2010/12/29 12:53
    • good

>"I mean, so you’ve got John Myung who wasn’t really socializing with us at all anymore, but as I said to Mike, ‘Tell me how it’s any different to when I first joined this band.’ I don’t see it.

OK. This is an excerpt by a keyboard player Jordan Rudess(hereafter JR). He questioned Mike's motive to free(?) the band 'indefinitely,' because he didn't get it at all. So, to put it in a different way, it's like:

Translation: Mike believed that we needed to get rid of John Myung because he was the weakest link within us. So I asked him, "How does it differ from when I joined in the band? I wasn't even sure if I could get along with you guys at that time, either."

*You've got= you have got (hint: only Mike is a founding member of the band)

>One of the first things I said was that I was trying to understand where he was coming from and that I don’t judge him.

The first things sounds like the issues Petrucci brought up in the talks with Mike. So I think I think you're right on the spot. "I don't judge him" means more like I don't have any (negative) bias toward him (i.e., selfish, egoistic)

>Everyone is their own man and I get it. But from my perspective and from that of the other guys, you could take those same elements mentioned by Mike, the fact that we’ve been a band for 25 years, that this is something that we have built up and that we love, as a reason not to stop it or even take a break.”

Translation: I know everyone is different, and I should respect that. But the fact of the matter is that we have built up our chemistry throughout these 25 years--even though we're not the founders, and there's no reason to grind it to a halt.

>Myung: “We love what we do and we didn’t want to wait around as things became unstable. What was initially a four-month break suddenly turned into a hiatus, then changed to a year and four months, which then could have turned into anyone’s guess.”

anyone's guess= none of us are sure what will happen next or in the future.
    • good

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!