プロが教えるわが家の防犯対策術!

As I got older as a writer I became interested in that same question but applied to societies and nations. That is something that I am still trying to figure out, how best to express that question?

インタビューでの発言なんですが、appliedについて質問があります。

このapplied はquestionにかかると見ているんですが
あっていますか? (a book written by him みたいな感じ??)

「年齢を重ねるにつれ、その同じ疑問に興味を持ち始めました。ただ、社会や国家に当てはめたものとしてです」みたいな感じでしょうか?

A 回答 (7件)

I became interested in ~but

(I became) applied to と考えればいいと思います。

As I got older as a writer
作家として年をとるにつれ

I became interested in that same question
その同じ疑問に興味を持っに至ったが、

but applied to societies and nations.
しかし、社会や国家にも関わるようになった。

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/apply
2 AFFECT [intransitive, transitive not in progressive]
to have an effect on or to concern a particular person, group, or situation
apply to
Do the same rules apply to part-time workers?
The offer only applies to flights from London and Manchester.
    • good
この回答へのお礼

ありがとう

apply の見かけない使い方で解読に困ってました、、
参考になる回答ありがとうございます、、
助かりました、、

お礼日時:2021/05/07 21:05

”ボートを漕ごう”でしたか、この童謡聞いたことありませんか?

Nativeならだれでも知ってます。

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.
    • good

Memory, guilt and delusion are recurring themes in your work – why?

Kazuo Ishiguro: I think earlier in my career I was always very interested in looking at individuals who struggled with their past and their memories. So typically I would look at a character in late middle age or old age. Someone who had been quite proud of himself or herself, but then quite late in life gains a perspective about his life. Let us just say his life. And he starts to think Oh actually, I had all my values wrong, I backed the wrong things, I backed the wrong causes. Does that mean my life has been wasted? I lived my life by the wrong values even though for most of my life I thought I was living by the right values. That was a typical situation I became fascinated in. I wrote at least three or four novels around these kinds of ideas.

As I got older as a writer I became interested in that same question but applied to societies and nations. That is something that I am still trying to figure out, how best to express that question? How would a nation or a country struggle with the nation’s dark or shameful memories? When is it better to just leave these things buried and move on. Because we can see all around the world now and, in history, cases where conflict just goes on and on and on. You just cannot stop it, stop the cycle because people will not forget atrocities from the past. Sometimes people, generations, are fighting over something that happened centuries ago and hatred has developed. So sometimes it is not good to remember.

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/literature/201 …

文脈から察しはつきますが、、、いやぁこういう使い方、、、なんだろうと悩みますね。もちろん文法的説明が必要なのではなくって、こういう使い方があったら、次見たとき悩まないだろうし、書くときの引き出しになるわけだけど、文法的にどうかわからない表現だからこんなのあり?って感じ。

色々考えてみたんだけど、おそらく形容詞(句)をbutで並べた。でbutで結んだ形容詞(句)はsameとapplied to societies and nations

同じ、しかしながら社会や国家に当てはめたquestion。

じっさいこういうのは通常ありなのかちょっと判断が付きませんけど。インタビューというか喋っているときって正確な文を言うとは限らないのですが、それに当てはまるかどうかするわかりません
    • good
この回答へのお礼

ありがとう

apply の使用に迷っていましたが、かなり分かりやすく詳しい説明ありがとうございます、だいぶすっきりしました!

お礼日時:2021/05/07 21:09

質問者さんの解釈で合っています。

ただし、抜粋なさった箇所は、ある種の言いよどみみたいなものなので、そこを読んだだけでは真意がまったく読み取れません。

むしろ、抜粋なさった箇所について、その直後に具体的に噛み砕いている、「How would a nation or a country struggle with the nation’s dark or shameful memories? When is it better to just leave these things buried and move on.」の部分でようやく、抜粋なさった箇所の意味を読み取れます。

まったくの余談ですが、どうやらグーグルはそれなりに頭が良いようで、"As I got older as a writer I became interested in that same question but applied to societies and nations."だけでググったら、ご親切に「That is something that I am still trying to figure out, how best to express that question?」にはマーカーが付かず、「As I got older as a writer I became interested in that same question but applied to societies and nations. 」「How would a nation or a country struggle with the nation’s dark or shameful memories? When is it better to just leave these things buried and move on. 」にだけマーカーが付いた本文にジャンプすることができました。要するに「マーカーのところだけを読めば、このセンテンスの真意がすんなりわかるよ」ってことですね。
    • good
この回答へのお礼

ありがとう

丁寧な説明ありがとうございます。
インタビューはなかなか難解です、、
でも詳しい説明でかなり理解できました、、

お礼日時:2021/05/07 21:02

文脈からどう読めたかではなくがbutが正しい使い方をされてるかの問題です。

例えば、
As I got older as a writer I became interested in that same question applied to societies and nations.
であれば、間違いなく質問者の理解が正しくなります。

この時に質問文のようにbutを入れると、どうなるのか?

その答えが、Nativeが幼稚園児の時に覚えるボートを漕げの一節になります。

Life is but a dream.

お礼も、理解できたかできないかも意思表示しない輩に、懇切丁寧な文法解釈などの回答などするつもりはありません。ですが、此処までヒントを出せばわからないことなど無いはずですが・・・・
    • good

まあ、やはり偶にはBAを付けるとか、お礼のメッセージを書くとかする方がよろしいと思いますよ。

• good

この件のButに関して副詞と捉える指摘もありますね。

それならあなたの考えた構造と考えても良さそうです。
回答するにあたってこちらに上がった質問と回答は質問者だけでなく閲覧するひとたちの情報にもなりますのでそういうところも考えていただけないかなと思ったりもします。
    • good

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!