プロが教える店舗&オフィスのセキュリティ対策術

"Are we going out now?" "Not for a long time yet"という会話がありました。Not for a long time yet はどんな意味でしょうか?

A 回答 (10件)

訂正:" it is, more often than not, possible what reading..." → "it

ore often than not, possible (to tell) what reading is..."
    • good

あ、消えてる。

下の私の回答は「何怒ってはるんですか?」と「文脈がないと色々と曖昧ですよ。」という旨(at least I think it was...)の文言に対してのものです。
    • good

Oh, it was more like 'friendly banter' between old friends than anything (not encouraged behavior, I know), though back there I may have been more, um, 'impassioned' than I care to admit. Anyways, no need for you to worry about me, or him.

And yes, context is of the essence. You got that right. Any question expecting an adequate answer should come furnished with it. But that doesn't mean absolutely nothing can be said about isolated sentences; it is, more often than not, possible what reading (syntactic or semantic) is likely or unlikely, or indeed compulsory or impossible.

Take for instance some simple utterance, say, "She made me sad." Would we say it's ambiguous whether "sad" predicates on "She" or "me", absent the context? Surely (we do) not (say it is). Why? That's because, over the years of what English education we get from school, we have had hardwired into the English part of our brains the fact (yes, it's a practical fact) that, in the construction "S make(s) O C", "C" is an object complement.

Likewise for "I've left her as honest as I found her." Every duly experienced speaker/reader would intuitively know, sans the surrounding text, that "honest" describes "her", not "I". It takes an uninitiated mind, or really, really, reeeally unusual circumstances, to interpret it the other way.

Bits and pieces of grammar, unaided by working knowledge of how the language is used in practice, don't get us very far. Some of the time, crying "Not enough context!" is little more than a feeble excuse.

(Sorry for the English. An annoying habit of mine. But I trust you have no problem reading it.)
    • good
この回答へのお礼

Thank you for your answer.

お礼日時:2016/04/24 12:37

"Are we going out now?" "Not for a long time yet"というこんな単純な会話を理解するだけなら、本来は、文法に頼る必要なんてありませんよ。

難しく考えすぎです。確かに学習者にとっては文法が第一の手段になってしまいますが。

それでも文法的ことを言うなら「going out」のはpunctualアスペクトなので、否定しないと、期間を表す「for a long time」と合わない。

文法に頼りきりになのが"I've left her as honest as I found her."の「honest」が「I」にpredicateするというとんでもない発想にたどり着く理由です。
    • good

否定というのはややこしいんですね。

現在完了の否定で、完了の否定、have not 過去分詞 yet は問題ないにしても、
継続の否定の場合です。

He has been there for a long time. という継続の否定、
He hasn't been here for a long time. というのは形としては簡単です。
でも、この意味を習うことは少ないと思います。

「長い間、ずっとそこにいない」
「長い間ずっとそこにいるのではない、そこにずっといるのは長い間じゃない」

文脈によって、強勢によって、ふた通りに取れます。

他人のふんどしでとるのは楽なもので...
    • good
この回答へのお礼

回答ありがとうございます。

お礼日時:2016/04/23 21:33

(We are) not (going out) for a long time yet.

「もう出る?」「まだ当分は出ませんよ。」

Simple as that.
    • good
この回答へのお礼

回答ありがとうございます。

お礼日時:2016/04/23 21:29

なるほど、#2 の方のおっしゃる通りですね。

でも、「まだそんなに長い(十分な)時間が経っていないからね」
ということじゃないです。

We can't go out for a long time
まだ、出かけられない、それが長い間。

一方、私の #1 の回答は、

for a long time という部分に not がかかって
「長い間」ではない。

go out という動作動詞的な表現に対して、
for ~は合わないかな、という気はしていました。

最近、not in the ... style というパターンがあって、心に残っていたのかな。

ポイントは not がどうかかるか、ということです。
    • good
この回答へのお礼

回答ありがとうございます。

お礼日時:2016/04/23 21:29

ご質問される場合は、できるだけ前後の文脈を示していただくと、誤解が少なくなります。

[ Not for a long time yet ]
はNo.2さんのご指摘の通りです。
意味は、(前の状態から外に出る時期をひたすら待っていて、)「そろそろ外に出てもいいかしら?」、
(それはどうかな)「まだそんなに長い(十分な)時間が経っていないからね」ということですね。
[ yet ] (「まだ」)の意味をどうとらえるかですが、ここで文脈が大切になります。
    • good
この回答へのお礼

回答ありがとうございます。

お礼日時:2016/04/23 21:28

文脈によっては、No1様の回答の意味にもなるでしょう。

しかし、たまたまネット検索して文脈を調べてみたら、Little old Ms Pepperpotという本に出てくるセリフのようで、「冬が終わりそうだからもう外に出ていいかい」という感じで"Are we going out now?" と聞いて、「いやいや、まだまだ当分先だよ。」という感じで、"Not for a long time yet"と答えていますね。

ですから、この"Not for a long time yet"は、「いいえ、当分はまだですよ。」ということになります。

ちなみに、こういう文脈だったら、No1さんの意味でしょうね。検索して見つけたものですが、

We cannot stay here, he said with a sadness that mysteriously did not hurt. This is not where we belong. Not now. Not for a long time yet.(Catching Midnightという本の一節)
    • good
この回答へのお礼

回答ありがとうございます。とても参考になります。

お礼日時:2016/04/23 21:27

まだ、(それほど)長い間(出かけるの)でなければね。

• good
この回答へのお礼

回答ありがとうございます。

お礼日時:2016/04/23 12:28

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!