プロが教える店舗&オフィスのセキュリティ対策術

Kate Shelley got to pigpen just in time. The water was just about to flood the floor. She gathered up the seven little pigs. Followed by their mother , she took the pigs up to the barn , which was on higher ground. The rain showed no signs of stopping.
Little did Kate know that she would become a heroine that night. She was fifteen years old , poor , and a good girl. Her father had been a railroad man before he died. That was all anyone might have said about her before this night.
After she had seen to all the animals , Kate went in the house. She stood by her mother and watched Honey edging higher and higher up its banks.
“I'm afraid it will flood ,” said Kate's mother.
“It looks that way ,” answered Kate. “And if it gets much higher , the bridge might collapse.”
“Let's hope it lasts until the express goes through ,” said her mother.
“I'm worried about the railroad trestle ,” said Kate.
“What if that goes?”
The railroad trestle crossed the Des Moines River , which fed Honey Creek. If the water in Honey Creek was high , it was sure to be high in the Des Moines River.
Just then , they heard the sound of an engine. They saw its headlight moving slowly toward Honey Creek Bridge. It was the extra engine that helped to push heavy trains up the hills on either said of the river. Now it was backing down the track , with men on the running board looking for danger. It began to cross Honey Creek Bridge , which was shaking by now. Then the bell on the train sounded twice.
There was a crash.
“Mother ,” shouted Kate. “They've gone down!”
It was still. The two were quiet for a minute.
Then Kate said , “I have to go and help them , mother. And I have to stop the midnight express. They'll never know the bridge is down if I don't.”
“Listen , Kate ,” her mother answered. “You're only a child. Only fifteen.”
“But I'm the oldest here but for you. And you you have to stay with the young ones ,” said Kate.
“You'll never make it. You'll have to cross the trestle. It's full of danger.”
Her mother saw the look on Kate's face. She knew it would be worthless to try to stop her. “Go , then ,” she said. “But be careful.”  

A 回答 (1件)

ケイト・シェリーは、ちょうど間に合って豚小屋に着きました。

水は、ちょうど床に氾濫しようとしていました。 彼女は、7匹の子豚を集めました。 子豚の母親が追いかけてきましたが、彼女は納屋に子豚を上げました、なぜなら、納屋はもっと高い土地にあったからでした。 雨は、止みそうにありませんでした。
ケイトは、彼女がその夜英雄になるとはまったく思っていませんでした。 彼女は、15才で、貧しく、それでも気立てのよい女の子でした。 彼女の父親は、死ぬ前は鉄道員でした。 この夜以前に彼女について人々が言いそうなことは大体それぐらいでした。
すべての動物の面倒を見たあと、ケイトは家に入りました。 彼女は母のそばに立って、ハニー川の縁の水かさがその堤防に沿ってじりじり増してくるのを見ていました。
「氾濫するかもしれない」と、ケイトの母は言いました。
「そのようね」と、ケイトは答えました。 「それに、もっと水かさが増したら、橋は崩壊するかもしれないわ。」
「急行が通過するまで、橋が持ちこたえてくれることを祈りましょう」と、彼女の母は言いました。
「鉄橋の構脚(トレッスル:主に鉄道橋を支える、スパンの短い十字に組んだ橋脚)が心配だわ」と、ケイトは言いました。
「あれが崩れたら、どうしよう?」
鉄橋の構脚はデモイン川に架かっていました。そして、デモイン川はハニー川に注ぎ込んでいました。 ハニー川の水かさが増しているなら、きっとデモイン川も水かさが増しているはずでした。
ちょうどその時、彼らは機関車の音を聞きました。 そのヘッドライトがゆっくりハニー川の鉄橋の方へ進んで来るのが見えました。それは、川の両側にある丘に重い列車を押し上げるのを助ける追加の機関車でした。 今、それは線路を後退していました、踏み板の上には数人の男たちが乗って危険な個所を探していました。 それはハニー川鉄橋を渡り始めましたが、鉄橋は、この頃までには振動していました。 それから、電車のベルが、二回鳴りました。
崩壊が起こりました。
「お母さん」と、ケイトは叫びました。 「落っこちたわ!」
静かでした。 2人は、しばらく黙っていました。
それから、ケイトが言いました。「あの人たちを助けに行かなくちゃ、お母さん。 それに、深夜の急行も止めなくては。 私が教えなければ、橋が落ちたことに気付かないわ。」
「ねえ、ケイト」と、彼女の母は答えました。 「あなたは、まだ子供よ。 まだ15才じゃないの。」
「でも、お母さんを除けば、私が、ここで一番年上よ。 そして、お母さんは、小さい子供たちと一緒にいてあげないといけないし」と、ケイトは言いました。
「絶対うまく行かないわ。 構脚を渡らないといけないのよ。 危険がいっぱいだわ。」
彼女の母は、ケイトの顔の表情を見ました。 彼女は、彼女を止めようとしても無駄だと分かりました。 「それじゃ、行きなさい」と、彼女は言いました。 「でも、気をつけるのよ。」
    • good

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!