dポイントプレゼントキャンペーン実施中!

"We have to talk."
To women, usually the ones saying this to men, these four words are often an expression of a desire to connect, to address something with a man on a deeper, more satisfying level.
It often means, "Let's get together and see if we can move things to a better place." Saying this to a man can feel dangerous. As one woman put it "Get ready for World War Three" To men, these may be among the most feared words in the language. They often stimulate what we call male relational dread. One man's response was,"Let me out of here!" Another man said, "To me those words mean : `Next stop,divorce.`" These words often mean somethings quite different whwn they are said to someone ofthe same genger. When women say to other women,"We have to talk," it can mean a multitude of things.
If the other woman is someone new with whom the woman feels friendly, it can mean,"Let's get to know each other."
If it's an old friend whom she hasn't seen for a while, it can mean, "Let's catch up - do I have things to tell you!"
And if it is a friend with whom she is in frequent, even daily contact,it can mean,"Wait till you hear this. I've got to tell you about last night." Men rarely say this to other men. When they do, sometimes it has a sense of invitation, as in, "Hey, let's catch up!" But often it has the connotation of "You're in big trouble with me.Get ready for a hassle."
Gender differences in the meaning of these words start early. In our gender dialogues between seventh-grade boys and girls, their comments and questions often focus on "talk" :
BOYS: Girls talk for most of the conversation so we don't have to talk.
GIRLS: How come boys don't talk first?
How these gender differences can be used in dialogue to heal the relationships between women and men is the topic of our discussion.

A 回答 (1件)

「話があるの」

通常男性に向かってこの言葉を発する女性にとってこの4つの単語は大抵、つながりを持ちたい、男性と一緒に何かをより深く、より満足できるレベルまで共有したいという願望の表れである。
それは多くの場合、「一緒になって物事がより良い方向になるかどうか確かめましょう」という意味でもある。この事を男性に向かって発することは恐怖を感じることにもなる。1人の女性が「第三次世界大戦への準備」と表現するように。男性にとって、これら(の単語)は言葉としてもっとも恐れるものに入るだろう。それらはしばしば、我々が「男性のきずなに対する恐怖」と呼ぶものを刺激する。1人の男性は「ここから出してくれ!」と反応し、別の男性は「俺にとってこうした言葉は(次の段階は離婚よ)って意味なんだ。」と言った。こうした言葉は大抵の場合、同性の誰かから言われた時にはまったく違った何かを意味するものだ(※1)。女性が別の女性に「話があるの」と言う場合、それはやるべき事の多さを意味する。
もし別の女性が誰か新しい人に好感を持ったなら、それは「御互いをよくわかりあいましょう」という意味にもなりえる。
もしそれがしばらくの間逢っていなかった古い友人だったら、「どうしていたか教えて。話したいことあるんだ!」ということにもなる。
そして、もしそれが頻繁に逢う友達ならば、毎日連絡しあっていたとしても、「これを聞くまで待って。昨日あったこと是非聞いて欲しいの」という意味にもなる。男性は別の男性に滅多にこういう事は言わない。彼らが言う時、それは例えば「おい、行こうぜ」というような、招待の意味である。しかし多くの場合それは「面倒かけやがって。やる(ケンカを)準備しろよ。」という意味合いがあるのだ。
こうした言葉に対する男女の性による違いは、(年齢が)早いうちに始まる。私達が実施した(※2)中学2年の男子と女子の間における異性間の対話では、彼らの意見や質問はしばしば「話すこと」に集中するのだ。
男子:女子が会話のほとんどの部分話しているので僕達は話す必要がないよ。
女子:どうして男子が最初に話をしないのよ?
どうしてこうした男女の性による違いがあるのかは、我々の議論のテーマである男女間の関係を取り戻す為の(※3)、対話の中で利用可能なのである。

※1:These words often mean somethings quite different [whwn] they are said to someone ofthe same [genger].
[ ]で示した単語二つは、typoだと思いましたので、whwn→when、genger→genderとして訳しました。
※2:In our gender dialogues
この後に中学2年生のとありますので、おそらくこの文章は何かの社会実験などを参考にしたものかと考えましたので、「我々が実施した」と訳しました。
※3:heal:「治癒する」とか「癒す」という意味の単語ですが、relationやrelationshipと共に使われる時には、「修復する」とか「取り戻す」という意味になりますので、そのように訳しました。
    • good

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!