アプリ版:「スタンプのみでお礼する」機能のリリースについて

以下の英文の翻訳をお願いします!!
Japanese use mutual apology as a social lubricant, to keep the wheels of human relations running smoothly. Showing anger or disagreement throws sand into the wheels. Therefore, in awkward situations you are expected to apologize. It doesn’t matter whether or not you caused the awkwardness; you are still expected to apologize.
When you apologize, it makes the other person automatically apologize in return, just as bowing makes the other person bow, too. Mutual apology indicates mutual willingness to consider the possibility of a mistake. It prevents the blame from being shouldered entirely by one person, thus keeping awkwardness to a minimum, and making things run smoothly.
But when the Japanese said “I’m sorry” to the Americans, things didn’t run smoothly; they got more awkward. This was because “I’m sorry” means something quite different to Americans.
To an American, the guide’s “I’m sorry” would mean “I’m sorry that I was late,” which in turn would mean that he had lied earlier when he said that he had been on time.
Most Americans would assume that if the guide had been on time, he would argue in his own defense. He might try to defuse the other person’s anger by saying, “I’m sorry, there seems to be a misunderstanding, ” but he wouldn’t stop there. He would always add, “but I really have been waiting for you at the front for an hour.”

A 回答 (1件)

日本人は、人間関係の輪がうまく動き続けるよう、社会生活の潤滑油として互いに謝罪しあいます。

怒りや不一致を表明することはそれを妨害することなのです。それゆえ、厄介な状況では謝罪するものと思われています。そのぎこちなさがあなたによって作り出されかどうかは問題ではありません。にもかかわらず謝ることを期待されるのです。
おじぎをすると相手がおじぎをするのと同じように、あなたが謝ると、お返しとして相手も自動的に謝ります。互いに謝罪しあうことは、間違いの可能性を探る互いの気持ちの表れなのです。それは、ひとりの人に全てを背負わせるという非難を防ぐことであり、ひいては、ぎこちなさを最小限にとどめ物事をつつがなく進めることでもあります。
しかし、日本人ガイド(※1)がアメリカ人カップル(※2)に「すみません」と言ったところ、物事はスムーズにいかなくなりました。さらに厄介なことになったのです。これは、「すみません」という言葉がアメリカ人カップルには全く違う意味合いをもつものだったからです。
アメリカ人男性にとっては、このガイドの「すみません」は「遅れてすみませんでした」という意味であり、彼が自分は時間通りにきていましたと言ったので、今度は、前に言ったことはウソだったという意味になったのです。
このガイドが時間通りに着いていたならば自己弁護の主張をするものと、ほとんどのアメリカ人は推測します。彼は「すみません。なにか誤解があるようです」と述べて相手の怒りを鎮めようとはしますが、そこでやめはしません。彼はこうも付け加えるものです。「でも私は本当にフロントであなたがたを1時間待っていたんですよ。」

※1&2 the Japanese, the Americans
前の質問から続く文章だと思いましたので、(1)は日本人ガイドの男性、(2)は彼にガイドを頼んでアメリカ人カップルとして訳しました。
    • good
この回答へのお礼

ありがとうございます!!誰が誰に対して発言したのか理解出来なかったのでとても助かりました。

お礼日時:2015/11/29 11:02

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!