dポイントプレゼントキャンペーン実施中!

学校で空手部の説明をする英文を書いていて完成したのですがなんだかすごく幼稚な文章です。
もう少しかっこよくできませんか?
適当な質問ですみません

There are two main activities in the club that I belong to, the karate club. One of the two is called Kumite. Kumite is a simulation of real fighting. We put on helmets and guards when we do this. This offers us protection from punches and kicks. Unfortunately, even with guards we sometimes get injured. In that case, we treat ourselves using bandages and ice bags. Although one could occasionally get wounded, I personally like doing Kumite. The other activity we do is called Kata. Kata is a demonstration of moves in karate. We do the combined version of karate moves and techniques. It is harder than you think it is. Plus, it requires a lot of stamina. Nevertheless, I’m beginning to like Kata, for my teachers complimented me that I’m doing well. In conclusion, Kumite is like real combat, and Kata is a demonstration of moves in karate. They are two completely different things, but I like them both.

全部変えなくても一部だけでもいいです

A 回答 (2件)

主に部分的に不適な箇所を述べさせてください。

うまく通じさせるためには日本語を逐語的に英語に直しただけでは十分ではありません。

1)There are two main activities in the club that I belong to, the karate club.
*** 英語は結論が最初で説明はあとにするのが普通です。「私は空手部に属している。そのクラブでは2つの練習方法がある。」としたほうがいいのではないかと思います。これはお任せします。

・ "two main activities"→"two main ways of practice"「2つの主な練習方法」
*** "activities"は空手だけではなく、人間生活のどの分野にも見られる活動のことです。¥

2)One of the two is called Kumite. Kumite is a simulation of real fighting.

・ "One of the two"→"One of them"
***「組み手」にも「自由組み手」と「約束組み手」があり、英語の定義は結構難しいです。
ウィキを大いに参照して真似してください。
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate#Kata

3)We put on helmets and guards when we do this.

・ "put on"→"wear"
*** "put on"は身に着けていない状態から身につける状態への変化を表します。練習中・試合中ずっと着用しているなら"wear"にすべきです。
・ "helmets"→"protective headgears" ウィキ参照
・ "guards"は名詞でしょうか?これは日本語では「ガードマン」とか「防御姿勢(ガード)」という意味になります。もし「ガードする」なら"guard ourselves"でしょうね。ここは意味がはっきりしていません。
・ "when we do this"→"for practices or matches"
*** "do this"というのは日本語の直訳で英語としてはもっとはっきりさせるべきですね。

4)This offers us protection from punches and kicks.

・ "This offers us protection"→"This protects us from"
*** "This"という単数名詞が何を表すかなかなか特定しにくい表現になっています。日本語で「これ」とすぐに言いますが、英語で"this"というときは、何を指すか英語ではっきりと言わなければなりません。

5)Unfortunately, even with guards we sometimes get injured.

・ "guards"が「防御姿勢」という意味ならこれでいいと思いますが、「プロテクター」なら文字通り"with protectors on"でしょうね。

6)In that case, we treat ourselves using bandages and ice bags.

・ "treat ourselves"→"give first-aid"
・ "using"→"applying"
・ "(using) ice bags"→"cooling ourselves with ice bags"

7)Although one could occasionally get wounded, I personally like doing Kumite.

・ "one"→"we"か"I"

8)The other activity we do is called Kata.

・ "The other activity we do"→"The other way of practice"

9)Kata is a demonstration of moves in karate.

・ "moves"→"a formalized sequence of movements" ウィキ参照

10)We do the combined version of karate moves and techniques.

・ ここは、9)と重複しますね。もしそうなら、"In other words, it is a combination of offensive and defensive movements and techniques."という手もあります。

11)It is harder than you think it is. Plus, it requires a lot of stamina. (いいと思います。)

12)Nevertheless, I'm beginning to like Kata, for my teachers complimented me that I'm doing well.

・ "Nevertheless"→"Even so" 前者は少し堅い表現ですね。
・ "I'm beginning to like"→"I've come to like"「好きになってきた。」
・ "for"→"because" 前者は文語体ですね。
・ "my teachers"→"our(/ my) coaches" 部活などでは後者を使います。
・ "complimented me that ..."→"complimented me, saying that ..."または"gave me a compliment, saying that ..."

13)In conclusion, Kumite is like real combat, and Kata is a demonstration of moves in karate.

・ "In conclusion"→"In brief"「要するに」
・ "real combat"→"voluntary exchange of punches and kicks"「自由意志のあるパンチとキックの交換(打ち合い蹴り合い)」
・ "is a demonstration of moves"→"is like a formula in math"
*** "demonstration"は意味の幅が広く、順位を競わない大会そのものを"demonstration"と呼ぶこともあります。

もし不明の箇所がありましたら補足ででもお尋ねください。

参考URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate#Kata
    • good

The Karate Club, the club to which I belong, offers training in the two major disciplines of karate.

One is called Kumite, which is a simulation of real fighting. We wear protective gears such as helmets and guards, to protect ourselves from punches and kicks. Unfortunately, injuries are not eliminated entirely even with such cautionary measures. Hence first-aid kits, such as bandages and ice bags, are always at the ready. Despite the occasional injuries, I like practicing Kumite.

The other discipline is called Kata. Kata are predetermined forms; a sequence of movements and techniiques combined together to simulate the response to an attack by an opponent. It not only is harder than it appears, but requires a lot of stamina as well. Even so, I am beginning to like Kata, for my teachers have complimented me that I am doing well.

In summary, Kumite is like a real combat, whereas Kata involves demonstration of predetermined forms of karate. They are two completely different disciplines, but I like them both.
    • good
この回答へのお礼

ありがとうございます

とてもわかりやすく説明していただいて、とても参考になりました。
お礼を書くのがおそくなってしまって申し訳ないです...

編集して書いていただいた部分の単語は自分も知っていながらも書いているうちには思いつかないものばかりでした...

知っているだけではまだまだ駄目ということですね!
頑張ります!

お礼日時:2013/08/28 20:28

お探しのQ&Aが見つからない時は、教えて!gooで質問しましょう!